Wayne, Neb. --- Wayne State scored touchdowns on five straight possessions in the first half to build a 34-7 lead at halftime and the Wildcats cruised to a 48-21 Northern Sun Conference football victory Saturday evening over Concordia-St. Paul in front of a crowd of 1,980 at Bob Cunningham Field in Wayne.  The Wildcats are 4-0 for the first time since 1993 while the visiting Golden Bears drop to 0-4.

            After both teams traded punts on their opening possessions, Wayne State got on the scoreboard first on an Anthony Watkins one-yard run, capping a 77-yard drive on 10 plays to put the ‘Cats in front 7-0 with 4:35 to play in the first quarter.

            Early in the second quarter, the ‘Cats drove 80 yards and scored on a 35-yard pass play from Nick Bohn to sophomore tight end Gage Dengel giving WSC a 14-0 lead.

            Concordia-St. Paul answered with a score on the ensuing drive as Jaylin Richardson found the end zone on a nine-yard run making the score 14-7.

            Wayne State then scored on their next three series to end the second quarter, building a 34-7 lead at intermission.

            The first score came when Bohn fired a 55-yard scoring pass to Jadon Johnson.  The next score came following a CSP turnover as the ‘Cats recovered a Golden Bear fumble at the CSP 22.  Bohn ran eight yards for a touchdown giving WSC a 27-7 lead following a blocked PAT kick.

            WSC closed the first half scoring with seven seconds left with Shane Orr on the receiving end of a 12-yard pass from Bohn giving the ‘Cats a 34-7 lead at halftime.

            The Golden Bears opened the second half with a score as quarterback Conner Cordts raced nine yards for a touchdown, cutting the WSC lead to 34-14.

            Midway through the third quarter, WSC scored on back-to-back series to put the game out of reach. 

            The first score was on a 52-yard touchdown run by Hartington Cedar Catholic sophomore running back Jacob Keiser with the second score coming on a David Elder eight-yard run giving Wayne State a 48-14 lead heading into the fourth quarter.

            Concordia-St. Paul scored the final points of the game as Julius Reynolds caught a 13-yard pass from backup quarterback Bryce Sievers making the final score 48-21.

            Wayne State gained 518 yards in the game compared to 280 by the Golden Bears.  The ‘Cats were balanced offensively with 252 on the ground and 266 passing. 

            Watkins had 89 yards on 14 carries with one score while Keiser gained 82 yards on nine rushes and one TD. 

            Bohn completed 15 of 19 passes for 227 yards and three TD’s while reserve Tavian Willis was 3 of 5 for 39 yards.  Wayne senior Mason Lee had four catches for 50 yards followed by Trevor Marshall with three grabs for 39 yards.  Jadon Johnson added two catches for a team-high 69 yards and one TD.

            Sophomore linebacker Dexter Larsen had seven tackles for Wayne State with one sack for five yards.  Senior Jaylan Scott and sophomore Rex Becker each had fumble recoveries.

            The Wildcats will be on the road next Saturday for the NSIC South Division opener at Winona State with kickoff set for 1 p.m.