LINCOLN - One person died and three firefighters were injured when wind-driven wildfires erupted across 12 counties in Nebraska on Friday and Saturday. 

Nebraska Emergency Management Agency spokeswoman Jodie Fawl said the person died in Red Willow County in southwestern Nebraska, but she didn't have any details available about the death. 

She says the firefighters' injuries aren't believed to be life-threatening.

The Nebraska Emergency Management Agency reported blazes in Blaine, Brown, Cherry, Cheyenne, Deuel, Dundy, Furnas, Hayes, Perkins, Scotts Bluff, Red Willow and Thomas counties over a 24-hour period. 

Active fires remained in Perkins, Hayes and Furnas, Red Willow, and Frontier counties as of 3:30 p.m. Saturday. Cambridge residents faced mandatory evacuations for the second time in as many days Saturday afternoon.

Several small towns in Nebraska’s southwest and at least one in its northeast had to temporarily evacuate because of the fires.

The Nebraska National Guard has deployed one hand crew, two UH-60 Blackhawk helicopters, one UH-72, and several ground support trucks to assist with fire suppression. The Wildland Incident Response Assistance Team has deployed specialists to several of the fires.

Early Saturday morning FEMA Region VII approved the state’s request for a Fire Management Assistance Grant. Under this program, FEMA provides financial assistance to states for costs directly associated with response activities to a wildfire.

The State Emergency Operations Center (EOC) activated Friday evening at the Nebraska Emergency Management Agency to coordinate a statewide response to the wildfires. State agencies worked together to divide resources accordingly.

A Complex Incident Management Team (CIMT) was requested to assist with managing the state’s response.

The EOC continued with 24-hour operations to monitor the response and changing conditions. 

Battling flames was difficult due to dry and windy conditions. High wind warnings and red flag warnings were posted through the weekend.